QLS seminar (Antonio Ortiz Ambriz) via Zoom on Tuesday, 25 May 2021 at 15.00 CET

Quantitative Life Sciences Section qls at ictp.it
Mon May 24 10:09:30 CEST 2021

Dear All,

Tomorrow, Tuesday, 25 Mayat 15:00 CET, Dr Antonio Ortiz Ambriz (Magnetic
Soft Matter Group, Department of Condensed Matter Physics, University of
Barcelona) will give a webinar titled:

"Bidirectional currents in confined driven colloids"

Abstract:

It is well known that matter behaves differently in confined spaces. One
example of this is the equilibrium phases of core softened potential
particles, which can be realized by confining magnetic particles in slit
pores thick enough to accommodate one but not two particles.
I will discuss the rich behavior that appears from experimentally
bringing a similar system out of equilibrium by adding a dynamic
magnetic field. With this strategy, we can assemble the system in
particle pairs, which can be made to rotate synchronously or
asynchronously, or we can obtain buckled phases with soft potentials. By
adjusting the packing fraction, an intermediate state can be induced in
which particle pairs are broken and reassembled with other particles in
a continuous exchange of neighbors. By adding a small in-plane
component, this exchange process can be harnessed to produce a
“ceilidh”-like bidirectional current with particle transport in a state
that is reminiscent of skipping orbits in electronic and molecular systems.
We use Brownian dynamics simulations to show that this induced current
is due only to the dipolar interaction, and we develop a theoretical
model that shows two separate transport mechanisms which show excellent
agreement with the simulations.

http://indico.ictp.it/event/9670/ <http://indico.ictp.it/event/9670/>

Zoom Meeting ID to attend the online seminar: 475-819-702

Join Zoom Meeting:https://zoom.us/j/475819702 <https://zoom.us/j/475819702>

If you haven't registered for previous QLS webinars, please contact
qls at ictp.it to obtain the password for this zoom meeting.

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary