Seminar/exam AC and GC geometries course

Rafael Torres rtorres at sissa.it
Fri May 21 12:47:22 CEST 2021

In fulfillment of the requirements for the course “Almost-complex and
generalized complex geometries”, Giuseppe Bargagnati (Pisa) will give
the following seminar on May 28th, 2021 at 11 am.

Title: Uniqueness of CP^n?

Abstract: It  follows  from  the  very  definition  that  complex
structures  are  more  rigid than topological (or smooth) structures;
in other words, if two complex manifolds M and N are homeomorphic, it is
not true in general that they are also biholomorphic.  For example,
while there is only one topological closed connected surface of genus 1,
it is very well known that not all the complex structures on the 2-torus
are biholomorphic.  However, if one of the manifolds is the complex
projective space CP^n, we will show that, if M is Kaehler and
homeomorphic to CP^n, then it is also biholomorphic to it.  This result
was proven by Hirzebruch and Kodaira in 1957.  A natural question is
whether we can drop the Kaehler hypothesis in this theorem; we will see
that this (open) problem in complex dimension 3 is strongly related to
the existence of complex structures on S^6. In complex  dimension  2
there  is  an  even  stronger  result,  that  was  proven  by Yau in
1977:  if M is a compact complex surface homotopy equivalent to CP^2,
then it is also biholomorphic to it.  This statement was previously
known also as ”the Severi Conjecture”. In the talk, we will present
these results, and we will try to give an outline of the proofs, that
will involve characteristic classes and some facts about Kaehler
manifolds.  Our main reference will be an expository article of Tosatti.

See attachment for the bibliography