seminar announcement

Adrian Tompkins tompkins at ictp.it
Wed May 5 12:21:07 CEST 2021

/

    Environmental Meteorology Seminar Series

For details on registration please
see:/https://www.ictp.it/research/esp/seminar-series.aspx
/

/06/05/2021 15:00 @ ICTP/
Wind farm revenues in Western Europe in present and future climate

Anna Creti

Anna Creti
/Professor Laboratoire d'Économie de Dauphine-Centre de Géopolitique de
l'Energie et des Matières Premières (LeDA-CGEMP).
Paris Dauphine University
Paris, France/

*Abstract*

Wind energy is one of the key drivers of energy transition, however the
flow of investments into this industry is hampered by the uncertainty of
the future revenues, arising from the natural variability of the
resource, the impact of climate change on wind potential and future
electricity prices, and the policy risks. In this article we quantify
the uncertainty of the net present value of standardized wind farms in
European countries and evaluate the level and cost of support mechanisms
needed to guarantee the profitability of the wind fleet under present
and future climate. To this end, we build a localized model for wind
power output and a country-level model for electricity demand and prices
taking into account hourly variation of wind, load and prices, using
reanalysis data, climate projections and Integrated Assessment Model
(IAM) scenarios. Our methodology is general, but for specific
evaluations we focus on the examples of France, Germany and Denmark. Our
study reveals that support mechanisms in these countries are needed for
wind energy to be profitable under current market prices and current
climate. Under future climate, using several scenarios for climate
change and energy transition, we also show that the evolution of both
price and wind production does not allow the wind energy industry in
these countries to develop in a free market environment and that support
mechanisms will still be needed in future. The cost of these support
mechanisms for a 15-year period is evaluated to 57–172 billion euros in
France, 232–397 billion euros in Germany, and 18–50 billion euros in
Denmark, depending on the scenario considered and the level of
penetration of wind energy.