Joint ICTP-SISSA-UniTS Data Science Seminar (Jake Yeung) via Zoom on 4 May 2021 at 15.00 CET

Quantitative Life Sciences Section qls at ictp.it
Sun May 2 21:08:50 CEST 2021

Dear All,

The ICTP Quantitative Life Sciences Section is glad to announce the
Joint ICTP-SISSA-UniTS Data Science Seminar "Single-cell dynamics in
chromatin regulation: machine learning methods to understand gene
regulation" by Jake Yeung, Human Frontier Science Program (HFSP) Fellow,
Hubrecht Institute for Developmental Biology and Stem Cell Research,
Utrecht, The Netherlands,

The zoom seminar will take place on Tuesday, 4 May at 15:00 CET,

Abstract:

Cells are the basic units of life. Although every cell in the body has
essentially the same genetic code, histone modifications decorate the
genome of different cells to establish distinct regions of the chromatin
that are active or repressed. These cell type-specific chromatin states
allow cells to turn on different genes and perform different functions.
Recently, new techniques have begun to map these histone modifications
at the single-cell level, opening up new machine learning opportunities
to infer gene regulatory principles at unprecedented resolutions.

In this talk, I present two projects highlighting machine learning
methods applied to these experimental technologies to reveal global
insights in chromatin regulation in single cells.

First, I present a new technology, sortChIC (sort-assisted chromatin
immunocleavage), and apply it to understand chromatin regulation during
blood formation. I show machine learning methods to learn interpretable
maps from these high-dimensional count data to predict regulators
driving blood formation. Specifically, I infer transcription factor
activities in single cells, revealing how blood stem cells rewire
regulatory networks to become distinct mature blood cell types.

Second, I present scChIX (single-cell chromatin immunocleavage and
unmixing), an integrated machine learning and experimental framework to
understand the interplay between histone modifications in single cells.
scChIX generates linked maps of active and repressive chromatin,
allowing integrated analysis of different histone modifications in
single cells. These linked maps reveal switching between active and
repressive states during development of B cells in the blood.

Overall, machine learning methods integrated into new experimental
technologies reveal global gene regulatory principles.

http://indico.ictp.it/event/9653/ <http://indico.ictp.it/event/9624/>

Zoom Meeting ID to attend the online seminar: 475-819-702

Join Zoom Meeting:https://zoom.us/j/475819702 <https://zoom.us/j/475819702>

If you haven't registered for previous QLS webinars, please contact
qls at ictp.it to obtain the PASSWORD for this zoom meeting.

Kind regards,
Erica Sarnataro

Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary
Quantitative Life Sciences
The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP)
Trieste,  Italy
Tel. +39-040-2240623
www.ictp.it/research/qls.aspx
e-mail:qls at ictp.it