Geometric Structures - Carlos Beltran - March 16 - 4:15 pm (Rome Time)

Miruna - Stefana Sorea mirunastefana.sorea at sissa.it
Sun Mar 14 17:52:44 CET 2021

Dear All,

This is to announce the next seminar from the series "Geometric
Structures".

Speaker: CARLOS BELTRÁN [1](Universidad de Cantabria) [1]

Title: The average condition number of different problems, from a
geometric perspective

Time: March 16, 2021, 4:15 pm (Rome Time)

Venue: from remote only, on zoom at this link
https://sissa-it.zoom.us/j/85675591787?pwd=TUo2VXpmcEhOU1paRzBXUWp2MU1odz09
[2]
Passcode: geometry

Abstract:

I will present the condition number of problems from a general
perspective as a measure of the stability of problems. Then I will
discuss how does this condition number look and interact with other
mathematical concepts in different problems which are very basic but are
still full of mysteries: polynomial solving, eigenvalue/eigenvector
problems or tensor decomposition problems. All the material will be
presented for a general audience. Different parts of what will be
presented has been done with different authors, for example the tensor
decomposition part has been done with Paul Breiding and Nick
Vannieuwenhoven. Check the following video for our result in 2 minutes:

https://www.teamco.unican.es/portfolio-item/pencil-based-algorithms-for-tensor-rank-decomposition-are-not-stable/
[3]

More information can be found here:
https://sites.google.com/view/geometric-structures/ [4]

Everyone is welcome!
--
_Miruna-Stefana Sorea_
_Postdoctoral Researcher_

Links:
------
[1]
https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fpersonales.unican.es%2Fbeltranc%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGRXiDbIzUSOPF_EL7m3TBthKWczw
[2]
https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.teamco.unican.es%2Fportfolio-item%2Fpencil-based-algorithms-for-tensor-rank-decomposition-are-not-stable%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFMZ2X5IwKRsOMVuLK8w6qCMePKbA
[4] https://sites.google.com/view/geometric-structures/