CMSP Seminar (Atomistic Simulation Webinar Series): Wednesday 10 March 2021 at 11 a.m.

CMSP Seminars Secretariat OnlineCMSP at ictp.it
Tue Mar 9 12:52:28 CET 2021

Virtual - Zoom Meeting

*CMSP Atomistic Simulation Webinar Series*
/
/
* * **Wednesday, 10 March 2021 at 11:00 a.m.** * *

Speaker: *Franci MERZEL*(Lab. for Molecular Structural Dynamics, Theory
Department, National Institute of Chemistry, Ljubljana, Slovenia)

Title: *Water hydrogen bonding around small hydrophobic solutes
*

Register in advance at:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJcvc-GrrjkqG9WLV0wTSWr4K3snPE52VeAS

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the seminar.

Abstract:
It is well known that molecular solutes have a strong influence on the
structural and dynamic properties of the surrounding water. In our
recent study, we identified the presence of enhanced water-hydrogen
bonding in the vicinity of hydrophobic solutes using both IR
spectroscopy and ab-initio molecular dynamics simulations. The water
molecules involved in the strengthened hydrogen bonds were shown to
exhibit extensive structural ordering and restricted mobility. We
observed that a single pair of water molecules can form stronger
hydrogen bonds with each other when not surrounded by intercalating
water molecules. In this talk, we present simulation results that reveal
a simple mechanistic picture of the hydrogen bond strengthening around
small hydrophobic solutes.

CMSP, Condensed Matter & Statistical Physics Section
http://www.ictp.it/research/cmsp.aspx

The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics
https://www.ictp.it/  <https://www.ictp.it/>

----