Environmental Meteorology seminar #2

Adrian Tompkins tompkins at ictp.it
Wed Mar 3 15:42:38 CET 2021

/Lecture 2 in the ICTP-Trento Environmental Meteorology seminar series,
Thursday 4th March at 3pm CET, hosted by University of Trento
/

/Pre-registration required:
/

//
Improving our mechanistic understanding of the regional climate response
to anthropogenic aerosols
[Scientific Calendar <http://indico.ictp.it/event/9568/>]

Massimo Bollasina

Massimo Bollasina
/School of GeoSciences, University of Edinburgh.
Edinburgh, UK/

*Abstract*

By inducing anomalous heating gradients in the atmosphere and at the
surface via radiation changes and diabatic heating anomalies, especially
in the tropics, aerosols can affect the large-scale atmospheric
circulation and, as a result, induce teleconnections which extend the
climate impact of aerosols far from their source regions to produce
anomalies at hemispheric, if not near-global, scales. One of the key
uncertainties hindering our ability to project future climate change
more robustly, especially at regional scale, is our limited confidence
in understanding and quantifying the atmospheric dynamical response to
climate forcing. The latter, in the case of aerosols, is also poorly
characterised due to compounding uncertainties in the aerosol processes
themselves. This talk will discuss various aspects of the atmospheric
circulation response to regional and global aerosol forcing and
associated climate impact by using multiple sets of experiments with
state-of-the-art climate models with perturbed aerosol emissions.
Particular focus is given to tropical-extratropical interactions and the
monsoon system, and the underlying physical pathways generating regional
and remote climate anomalies are discussed.