Geometric Structures - Yosef Yomdin - June 29 - 4:15 pm (Rome Time)

Miruna - Stefana Sorea mirunastefana.sorea at sissa.it
Sun Jun 27 18:14:38 CEST 2021

Dear All,

This is to announce the next seminar from the series "Geometric
Structures".

Speaker:  YOSEF YOMDIN [1](Weizzmann Institute of Science) [1]

Title:       Estimating high order derivatives of a function through
geometry and topology of its zero set

Time:      June 29, 2021, 4:15 pm (Rome Time)

Venue:    from remote only, on zoom at this link
https://sissa-it.zoom.us/j/85675591787?pwd=TUo2VXpmcEhOU1paRzBXUWp2MU1odz09
[2]
Passcode: geometry

Abstract:

An order d rigidity inequality for a smooth function f is an explicit
lower bound for the (d+1)-st derivatives of f, which holds, if f
exhibits certain patterns, forbidden for polynomials of degree d.

 We discuss some recent results in this direction, which use as an input
the ``density'' of the zero set Z of f, or, in contrast, its topology.
In particular, we interpret in terms of rigidity inequalities some
recent results of Lerario and Stecconi, comparing topology of smooth
transversal singularities, and of their polynomial approximations.

More information can be found here:
https://sites.google.com/view/geometric-structures/ [3]

Everyone is welcome!
--