QLS seminar (Laureline Logiaco) via Zoom on 22 June 2021 at 15.00 CET

Quantitative Life Sciences Section qls at ictp.it
Mon Jun 21 09:25:10 CEST 2021

Dear All,

Tomorrow, Tuesday, 22 June at 15:00 CET, Dr Laureline Logiaco
(Department of Psychiatry, Psych Integrative Neuroscience, Center for
Theoretical Neuroscience, Columbia University in the City of New York)
will give a webinar titled:

"Thalamic control of cortical dynamics in a model of flexible motor
sequencing"

*
*
Abstract:
The neural mechanisms that generate an extensible library of motor
motifs and flexibly string them into arbitrary sequences are unclear. We
developed a model in which inhibitory basal ganglia output neurons
project to thalamic units that are themselves bidirectionally connected
to a recurrent cortical network. We model the basal ganglia inhibitory
patterns as silencing some thalamic neurons while leaving others
disinhibited and free to interact with cortex during specific motifs. We
show that a small number of disinhibited thalamic neurons can control
cortical dynamics to generate specific motor output in a noise robust
way. Additionally, a single ‘preparatory’ thalamocortical network can
produce fast cortical dynamics that support rapid transitions between
any pair of learned motifs. If the thalamic units associated with each
sequence component are segregated, many motor outputs can be learned
without interference and then combined in arbitrary orders for the
flexible production of long and complex motor sequences. Our results
suggest that the motor thalamocortical network architecture is
well-suited to implement the stringing of re-usable skilled behavioral
primitives, and have implications for engineering artificial networks
for robust hierarchical motor control.

Indico: http://indico.ictp.it/event/9680/
<http://indico.ictp.it/event/9680/>

Zoom Meeting ID to attend the online seminar: 475-819-702

Join Zoom Meeting:https://zoom.us/j/475819702 <https://zoom.us/j/475819702>

If you haven't registered for previous QLS webinars, please contact
qls at ictp.it to obtain the password for this zoom meeting.

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary