Seminar Announcement, Earth System Physics

Adrian Tompkins tompkins at ictp.it
Tue Jun 8 15:13:09 CEST 2021

This Thursday 10th June, 15:00, we announce the last lecture in the 2021
series

*Environmental Meteorology: From the Fundamentals of Climate to
Operational Applications*

To be given by Prof. Sandrine Bony.

For registration details see:
https://www.ictp.it/research/esp/seminar-series.aspx

Mesoscale organization of trade-wind clouds: First insights from EUREC4A

Sandrine Bony

Sandrine Bony
/Directrice de Recherche (CNRS)
Laboratoire de Meteorologie Dynamique (LMD/IPSL)
Sorbonne Université
Paris, France/
[https://emc3.lmd.jussieu.fr/en/group-members/sbony
<https://emc3.lmd.jussieu.fr/en/group-members/sbony>]

*Abstract*

Shallow convection exhibits a large diversity of spatial organizations
at the mesoscale. Patterns such as cloud streets, open cells or closed
cells have long been identified and characterized, but they are not
representative of the patterns that can be found over the warm
subtropical oceans. Recently, a few prominent patterns of trade-wind
clouds have been identified over the tropical western Atlantic. Based on
observations, I will show that these patterns depend on environmental
conditions, and that they exert different radiative impacts. This raises
two questions: What are the physical processes underlying changes in the
mesoscale organization of shallow clouds? and do they matter for climate
feedbacks? Answering these questions was one of the motivations for
organizing the EUREC4A campaign (http://eurec4a.eu/
<http://eurec4a.eu/>). During this field study which took place in
Jan-Feb 2020 near Barbados, multiple observing platforms characterized
the trade-wind clouds together with their dynamical and thermodynamical
environment on a wide range of scales. I will present early insights
from the campaign, and will discuss some of the processes that appear to
be important for the mesoscale organization of tradewind clouds.