QLS seminar (Bruno Loureiro) via Zoom on 8 June 2021 at 15.00 CET

Quantitative Life Sciences Section qls at ictp.it
Tue Jun 8 10:12:18 CEST 2021

Dear All,

Today, 8 June at 15:00 CET, Dr Bruno Loureiro (Information, Learning &
Physics Laboratory, EPFL, Lausanne) will give a webinar titled:

"Exactly solvable models for high-dimensional machine learning problems"

*
*
Abstract:  The past decade has witnessed a surge in the development and
adoption of machine learning algorithms to solve day-a-day computational
tasks. Yet, a solid theoretical understanding of even the most basic
tools used in practice is still lacking. Surprisingly, many of the
“exotic” behaviours of deep neural networks have shown to hold in models
as simple as high-dimensional linear regression. In this talk, I will
introduce two simple toy models describing learning with correlated
features. Next, I will motivate how these models encompass many learning
problems of interest, e.g. ridge and logistic regression, kernel
methods, random features, scattering transforms and transfer learning.
Finally, I will discuss how these models can be used to approximate real
data learning curves in some scenarios.

Indico: http://indico.ictp.it/event/9678/
<http://indico.ictp.it/event/9678/>

Zoom Meeting ID to attend the online seminar: 475-819-702

Join Zoom Meeting:https://zoom.us/j/475819702 <https://zoom.us/j/475819702>

If you haven't registered for previous QLS webinars, please contact
qls at ictp.it to obtain the password for this zoom meeting.

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary