QLS Seminar - Today, Tuesday 26 January at 15:00 (CET)

QLS QLS at ICTP.IT
Tue Jan 26 08:10:13 CET 2021

Dear All,

today, Tuesday 26 January 2021 at 15:00 CET, Daniel Sears, Yale
University, will give a webinar titled:

The energetic cost of biological waves

*Abstract*: Living matter consumes energy at the microscopic scale to
drive emergent, large-scale behaviors such as traveling waves or
coherent oscillations. These complex, spatiotemporal phenomena play
pivotal roles in essential life processes, such as cell division, cell
polarization, and collective migration. While much work has focused on
understanding the dynamics of these behaviors, we lack a thorough
understanding of their energetic underpinnings. To address this, we
introduce a measure of irreversibility we term the entropy production
factor that estimates energy dissipation across time and space for
spatially extended systems. We use our method to study the emergence of
synchronized oscillations in a model biochemical oscillator, finding
signatures of the onset of oscillations in the total irreversibility,
while signatures of synchronization are found in the distribution of
irreversibility across spatiotemporal frequencies. This work provides a
tool for understanding the connection between microscopic energy
consumption and macroscopic dynamic phenomena in non-equilibrium systems.

Indico webpage: http://indico.ictp.it/event/9543/

Zoom Meeting ID to attend the online seminar: 475-819-702

Join Zoom Meeting: https://zoom.us/j/475819702

<https://zoom.us/j/475819702

If you haven't registered for previous QLS webinars, please contact
qls at ictp.it <mailto:qls at ictp.it> to obtain the PASSWORD for this zoom
meeting.

Kind regards,
Barbara Valassi for QLS Section