Algebra and geometry seminar 15-01-2021

Francesco Galuppi fgaluppi at units.it
Tue Jan 12 21:47:08 CET 2021

Dear colleagues,

this is to advertise the weekly seminar of the Algebra and Geometry
group of the university of Trieste. On Friday, January 15th at 10:30,
Alex Massarenti (University of Ferrara) will talk about"On secant
defectiveness of toric varieties".

Abstract: Let N be a free abelian group, M = Hom(N,*Z*) its dual, M_*Q*
:= M ⊗ *Q* the corresponding rational vector space, P ⊆ M_*Q* a full
dimensional lattice polytope, and (X_P , H) the corresponding polarized
toric variety. We study the secant defectiveness of X_P in the embedding
induced by H. In particular, we give a bound, depending only on the
maximum number of integer points on a facet of P, for the non secant
defectiveness of X_P. Furthermore, as an application, we get an almost
asymptotically sharp bound for the non secant defectiveness of
Segre-Veronese varieties.

The seminar will take place online. The zoom link is
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87239350702.

You are welcome to extend the invitation to anyone interested.

Best,
Francesco