Geometric Structures - Olga Paris-Romaskevich - Feb 16th - 4:15 pm (Rome Time)

Miruna - Stefana Sorea mirunastefana.sorea at sissa.it
Sun Feb 14 13:00:30 CET 2021

Dear All,

This is to announce the next seminar from the series "Geometric
Structures".

Speaker: OLGA PARIS-ROMASKEVICH ( [1]Institut de Mathématiques de
Marseille [1]) [1]

Title: Tiling billiards in periodic tilings by equal triangles (and
quadrilaterals)

Time: February 16th, 2021, 4:15 pm (Rome Time) <------ Please note that
from now on, the seminar is starting 15 minutes later than the previous
times, in order to avoid overlapping with other seminars at SISSA.

Venue: from remote only, on zoom at this link
https://sissa-it.zoom.us/j/85675591787?pwd=TUo2VXpmcEhOU1paRzBXUWp2MU1odz09
[2]
Passcode: geometry

Abstract:

I will make an elementary introduction to tiling billiards -- model of a
light moving through a tiling under refraction laws.

This class of dynamical systems is new to mathematicians, simple to
define as well as connected to already existing areas of research such
as ergodic theory of interval exchange transformations and Novikov's
problem on plane sections of 3-periodic surfaces.

I hope you will love it as much as I love it !

(Not a very hard) Homework before the talk :

Watch a following 5-MIN movie (here is a link to Youtube) [3] by a
wonderful mathematician and animator Ofir David [4].

More information can be found here:
https://sites.google.com/view/geometric-structures/ [5]

Everyone is welcome!
--