Geometric Structures - Erlend Grong - Feb 9 - 4:15 pm (Rome Time)

Miruna - Stefana Sorea mirunastefana.sorea at sissa.it
Sun Feb 7 15:59:48 CET 2021

Dear All,

this is to announce the next seminar from the series "Geometric
Structures".

Speaker: ERLEND GRONG [1](University of Bergen) [1]

Title: On the equivalence problem in sub-Riemannian geometry

Time: February 9, 2021, 4:15 pm (Rome Time) <------ Please note that
from now on, the seminar is starting 15 minutes later than the previous
times, in order to avoid overlapping with other seminars at SISSA.

Venue: from remote only, on zoom at this link
https://sissa-it.zoom.us/j/85675591787?pwd=TUo2VXpmcEhOU1paRzBXUWp2MU1odz09
[2]
Passcode: geometry

Abstract:
In mathematics, we are always interested in understanding when two
objects are essentially the same. For the context of geometric
structures, such as Riemannian and sub-Riemannian manifolds,
"essentially the same" means being connected by an isometry.

For a Riemannian geometry, the central object measuring the local
obstruction to the existence of an isometry is the curvature tensor of
the Levi-Civita connection. We want to show that similar objects can be
found on sub-Riemannian manifolds with constant nilpotentization, based
on the work of T. Morimoto.

We will show explicit formulas for a canonical choice of grading and
connection for sub-Riemannian manifolds in some explicit cases.

  More information can be found here:
https://sites.google.com/view/geometric-structures/ [3]

Everyone is welcome!

--