Hybrid CMSP Seminar (Atomistic Simulation Webinar Series): Friday, 17 December 2021 at 2:00pm

CMSP Seminars Secretariat OnlineCMSP at ictp.it
Thu Dec 16 14:01:41 CET 2021

Atomistic Simulation Webinar Series

_
HYBRID SEMINAR_

Zoom + lecture hall to be announced

** * * Friday, 17 December 2021 at 2 p.m.*** * **

Speaker: *Ruchika Mahajan* (Indian Institute of Technology Mandi, India)

Title: *******************Importance of intersite Hubbard interactions
in β-MnO2: A first-principles DFT+U+V study *

Register in advance at:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJYkf-quqzooGNz1SnO6wZqcmdr2GIFJTflg
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the seminar.

_Abstract_:

In this talk, I will present structural, electronic, and magnetic
properties of pyrolusite (β- MnO_2 ) using conventional and extended
Hubbard-corrected density-functional theory (DFT+U and DFT+U+V) using
first principles. The onsite U and intersite V Hubbard parameters are
computed using linear-response theory in the framework of density-
functional perturbation theory ^[1][2] . In this study, we have shown
that inclusion of the onsite U is crucial to describe the localized
nature of the Mn(3d) states, whereas intersite V is key to capture
accurately the strong hybridization between neighboring Mn(3d) and O(2p)
states. In this framework, we stabilize the simplified collinear
antiferromagnetic (AFM) ordering in β-MnO_2 (suggested by the
Goodenough-Kanamori rule) ^[3] that is commonly used as an approximation
to the experimentally observed noncollinear screw-type spiral magnetic
ordering ^[4] . Finally, we will discuss the results of β-MnO_2 from
Hubbard- corrected DFT using two kinds of Hubbard
manifolds—non-orthogonalized and orthogonalized atomic orbitals for
ferromagnetic and its other three collinear spin configurations ^[5] .

^

^

^[1] I. Timrov, N. Marzari, and M. Cococcioni, Phys. Rev. B 98, 085127
(2018)

^[2] I. Timrov, N. Marzari, and M. Cococcioni, Phys. Rev. B 103, 045141
(2021)

^[3] Phys.Chem.Chem.Phys., 2016, 18, 13294

^[4] A. Yoshimori, J. Phys. Soc. Japan 14, 807 (1959)

^[5] Ruchika Mahajan, Iurii Timrov, Nicola Marzari, and Arti Kashyap,
Phys. Rev. Materials 5, 104402 (2021)

----

CMSP Seminars support:OnlineCMSP at ictp.it

CMSP, Condensed Matter & Statistical Physics Section
http://www.ictp.it/research/cmsp.aspx

The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics
https://www.ictp.it/

----