Noncommutative Geometry Wednesday

Yang Liu yliu at sissa.it
Tue Aug 3 14:39:20 CEST 2021

Dear all,
This is an update of the previous announcement.
The seminars are moved from Monday to Wednesday (same time and same room).

---------------------------------
Noncommutative Geometry Wednesday
in Dubrovin Lecture room 136 (SISSA main building)

with two seminars:

-----------------
@ 11:00 Bram Mesland (Leiden)

"The KK-theory perspective on noncommutative geometry"

The observation that the Dirac operator on a spin manifold encodes both
the Riemannian metric as well as the fundamental class in K-homology leads
to the paradigm of noncommutative geometry: the viewpoint that spectral triples
generalise Riemannian manifolds. To encode maps between Riemannian manifolds,
one is naturally led to consider the unbounded picture of Kasparov's
KK-theory. In this talk I will explain how smooth cycles in KK-theory give
a natural notion of noncommutative fibration, encoding morphisms noncommutative
geometry in manner compatible with index theory. The picture accommodates
for a wide range of examples from geometry, number theory and physics.

-----------------
@ 14:30 Francesca Arici (Leiden)

"SU(2)-symmetries and exact sequences of C*-algebras through subproduct systems"

Motivated by the study of symmetries of C*-algebras as well as by multivariate
operator theory, in this talk we will introduce the notion
of an SU(2)-equivariant subproduct system of Hilbert spaces. We will describe
their Toeplitz and Cuntz—Pimsner algebras and provide results about their
topological invariants through K(K)-theory.
In particular, we will show that the Toeplitz algebra of the subproduct system
of an irreducible SU(2) representation is equivariantly KK-equivalent
to the algebra of complex numbers, so that the (K)K-theory groups
of the Cuntz—Pimsner algebra can be effectively computed using an exact sequence
involving an analogue of the Euler class.
Based on joint work with Jens Kaad (SDU).