Algebra and geometry seminar 30-04-2021

Francesco Galuppi fgaluppi at units.it
Wed Apr 28 17:00:05 CEST 2021

Dear colleagues,

this is to advertise the weekly seminar of the Algebra and geometry
group of University of Trieste. On Friday, April 30th at 10:30, Kathlén
Kohn (KTH Stockholm) will talk about "The adjoint of a polytope".

This talk brings many areas together: discrete geometry, statistics,
intersection theory, classical algebraic geometry, physics, and
geometric modeling. First, we recall the definitions of the adjoint of a
polytope given Wachspress in 1975 and by Warren in 1996 in the context
of geometric modeling. They defined this polynomial to generalize
barycentric coordinates from simplices to arbitrary polytopes. Secondly,
we show how this polynomial appears in statistics (as the numerator of a
generating function over all moments of the uniform probability
distribution on a polytope), in intersection theory (as the central
piece in Segre classes of monomial schemes), and in physics (when
studying scattering amplitudes). Thirdly, we show that the adjoint is
the unique polynomial of minimal degree which vanishes on the non-faces
of a simple polytope. Finally, we observe that adjoints of polytopes are
special cases of the classical notion of adjoints of divisors. Since the
adjoint of a simple polytope is unique, the corresponding divisors have
unique canonical curves. In the case of three-dimensional polytopes, we
show that these divisors are either K3- or elliptic surfaces.
This talk is based on joint works with Kristian Ranestad, Boris Shapiro
and Bernd Sturmfels.

The seminar will take place online. The Zoom link is
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87239350702.

You are welcome to extend the invitation to anyone interested.