Condensed Matter Seminar (News&Views series): Thursday 22 April 2021 at 4:00 pm

CMSP Seminars Secretariat OnlineCMSP at ictp.it
Wed Apr 14 15:58:31 CEST 2021

Virtual - Zoom Meeting

CMSP News & Views Seminar
/
/The News & Views Seminars are meant to address our section as a whole,
and therefore include an extensive pedagogical introduction to the
topic, and present the main physical ideas of the research in a way
understandable by everybody in the section. The goal is to bridge
distances among different subgroups of our diverse CMSP section. //The
diversity in our section makes it a unique place for crossing bridges
among different topics, and for cross-fertilization among seemingly
distant fields. /
** * * Thursday 22 April 2021 at 4:00 p.m.*** * **

Speaker: *Thomas W. Hamann*   (Michigan State University, Department of
Chemistry)

Title: *Semiconductor and Catalyst Systems for Solar Water Oxidation*
**

Register in advance at:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJAvc-GoqTgvGNQ7vJF7L5DJjsxHLYJzRJ0W
and you will receive a confirmation email containing information about
joining the Zoom seminar room.

Abstract:

This seminar will describe some of our efforts to understand and control
the processes determining the efficiency of energy conversion systems.
Specifically, the behavior of metal oxide thin films for
photoelectrochemical (PEC) water oxidation will be discussed. Under PEC
water oxidation conditions, many metal oxides have been shown to
accumulate holes in surface states which can recombine with conduction
band electrons and thus limit the performance. The nature of such
surface states will be elucidated and its role in controlling water
oxidation discussed. Surface state recombination can generally be
mitigated through introduction of electrocatalysts on metal oxide
semiconductor surfaces which generally leads to improved performance. We
have found that some semiconductor/catalyst combinations result in
similar or worse performance compared to the bare electrode, however.
Through rigorous comparison of cyclic voltammetry, current transient and
electrochemical impedance spectroscopy (EIS), intensity modulated
photocurrent spectroscopy (IMPS), and dual-working electrode experiments
measurements, we have been able to gain significant insight into the
role of the catalyst and the electron-transfer reactions at the
interface on the performance of PEC water oxidation.

--

CMSP, Condensed Matter & Statistical Physics Section
http://www.ictp.it/research/cmsp.aspx

The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics
https://www.ictp.it/

----