Pawel Nurowski's seminar

Antonio Lerario lerario at sissa.it
Mon Sep 28 12:15:22 CEST 2020

SEMINAR ANNOUNCEMENT -- change of room!

Speaker: Pawel Nurowksi
Venue: Tuesday, September 29th, 4pm-5pm, room A-133 (maximum 14 people
inside) and on zoom https://sissa-it.zoom.us/j/98505307548

Title: Parabolic geometry of a car

Abstract: I show that a car, viewed as a nonholonomic system, provides an
example of a flat parabolic geometry of type (SO(2, 3), P12), where P12 is
a Borel parabolic subgroup in SO(2, 3). I discuss the relations of this
geometry of a car with the geometry of circles in the plane (a low
dimensional Lie sphere geometry), the geometry of 3-dimensional conformal
Minkowski spacetime, the geometry of 3-rd order ODEs, projective contact
geometry in three dimensions, and the corresponding twistor fibrations.
I hope that the time permits to talk about all of these topics.

--
*http://people.sissa.it/~lerario <http://people.sissa.it/~lerario>*