High Energy Physics Seminar

Rosanna rosanna at ictp.it
Fri Sep 11 14:40:18 CEST 2020

**********************************
HIGH ENERGY PHYSICS SEMINAR
**********************************

TUESDAY, 15 SEPTEMBER 2020, 15:30 p.m.

/** Please note unusual time!!**/

Alex MALONEY
(Rutherford Physics Bldg., McGill University, Canada)

"Gravity from Averaging CFTs"

Abstract:

I will explore the idea that certain theories of gravity in Anti-de
Sitter space are dual to an average over an ensemble of quantum
theories, rather than to a specific quantum theory. I will describe an
average over Narain’s family of two-dimensional conformal field theories
which describe free bosons on a torus, and compute the partition
function using the Siegel-Weil formula. The result takes the form of a
sum over geometries as one would expect in a theory of gravity. But the
gravitational theory looks more like a Chern-Simons theory than like
Einstein gravity.

Please register in advance for this meeting:

https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJ0pcu6srTMiGtCT0p-vgstETyj_nF5m-UuB

After registration, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining
the meeting.