Reminder - ICTP Math Associates Seminar (Zoom Meeting) - Thursday 19 November at 14:00 (Cecília Salgado)

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Mon Nov 16 08:23:37 CET 2020

Math Associates Seminar

Thursday 19 November 2020, at 14:00, Central European Time

Please register in advance for this meeting:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJUuf--hqjwiGda-rN1XT0HXf6w7-u3UfGJJ

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the meeting.

Speaker: Cecília Salgado (UFRJ)

Title: Mordell Weil rank jumps and the Hilbert property

Abstract: In this talk I will discuss recent progress around the
variation of the Mordell-Weil rank in families of elliptic curves. The
first part will be dedicated to give a thorough introduction to the
theme, by motivating and discussing the state of the art. The second
part will be dedicated to presenting a recent work joint with Dan
Loughran (Bath). More precisely, let X be surface endowed with a
(non-constant) elliptic fibration with a section defined over a number
field. Specialization theorems by Néron and Silverman imply that the
rank of the Mordell-Weil group of special fibers is at least equal to
the MW rank of the generic fiber. We say that the rank jumps when the
former is strictly larger than the latter. I will discuss rank jumps for
elliptic surfaces fibred over the projective line. If the surface admits
a conic bundle we show that the subset of the line for which the rank
jumps is not thin in the sense of Serre.