Geometric Structures: Miruna-Stefana Sorea's seminar

Antonio Lerario lerario at sissa.it
Sun Nov 8 09:58:44 CET 2020

Dear All,

this is to announce the next seminar from the series "Geometric Structures".

Speaker: Miruna-Stefana Sorea (SISSA)
Title: Disguised toric dynamical systems

Time: November 10, 2020, 4:00 pm (Rome Time)
Venue: from remote only, on zoom at this link
https://sissa-it.zoom.us/j/85675591787?pwd=TUo2VXpmcEhOU1paRzBXUWp2MU1odz09
Passcode: geometry

Abstract: We study families of polynomial dynamical systems inspired by
biochemical reaction networks. We focus on complex balanced mass-action
systems, which have also been called toric dynamical systems, by Craciun,
Dickenstein, Shiu and Sturmfels. These systems are known or conjectured to
enjoy very strong dynamical properties, such as existence and uniqueness of
positive steady states, local and global stability, persistence, and
permanence. We consider the class of disguised toric dynamical systems,
which contains toric dynamical systems, and to which all dynamical
properties mentioned above extend naturally. We show that, for some
families of reaction networks, this new class is much larger than the class
of toric systems. For example, for some networks we may even go from an
empty locus of toric systems in parameter space to a positive-measure locus
of disguised toric systems. We focus on the characterization of the
disguised toric locus by means of real algebraic geometry. Joint work with
Gheorghe Craciun and Laura Brustenga i Moncusí.

This series of seminars focuses on Real Geometry, touching topics from real
algebraic geometry, control theory, convex geometry, nodal sets, random
topology and subriemannian geometry. More information can be found here:
https://sites.google.com/view/geometric-structures/.

Everyone is welcome!

Antonio

--