CMSP Seminar (Atomistic Simulation Webinar Series): Wednesday 27 May 2020 at 11am

ICTP/CM cm at ictp.it
Mon May 25 17:39:45 CEST 2020

CMSP Seminar
Atomistic Simulation Webinar Series

When:**Wednesday 27 May at 11 a.m.
Where: Zoom meeting

Speaker: Lucio Colombi Ciacchi  (Conrad Naber Endowed Chair,
Hybrid Materials Interfaces Group, Faculty of Production Engineering
University of Bremen, Germany)
**

Title: Order and disorder at bio-inorganic interfaces: the cases of ZnO
binding peptides and FeOx(OH)y biomineralization

Abstract: http://indico.ictp.it/event/9382/

When we ask ourselves what is the structure of polypeptide/crystal
interfaces in the context of either materials recognition by
oligopeptides or of protein-controlled mineralization, we may have in
mind a rather static picture with atoms occupying ordered positions, as
obtained for instance by diffraction experiments. However, on the one
hand biomineralization often proceeds via the initial formation of
disordered inorganic precursors, which are converted to crystalline
phases only at a later stage. On the other hand, peptides that recognise
and bind specifically to crystalline oxide facets mostly present a
disordered ensemble of secondary structures. This makes a
characterization of the atomic-level details of such interfaces very
challenging both for experiments and for simulations. In this talk I
will present results of our investigations into the precipitation of
FeOx(OH)y, as induced for instance by ferritin proteins, and into
ZnO-binding peptides interacting with ZnO crystals in liquid
environments. Our goal is to attempt to find ordered patterns within the
disordered structures and conformational ensembles by a combination of
all-atom molecular dynamics simulation with atomic-force microscopy and
circular dichroism spectroscopy.