REGISTRATION: ICTP Math Associates Seminar (Zoom Meeting) - Thursday 21 May, at 14:00 (Jorge Lauret)

ICTP/math - Mabilo Koutou math at ictp.it
Thu May 21 07:41:02 CEST 2020

Math Associates Seminar (PLEASE DISREGARD THE PREVIOUS MESSAGE)

Pre-registration is required:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJwrcu6hrjwvGd3rxgA4UpjhJI5Cpd8v-XZs
After registration, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the meeting.

Thursday 21 May 2020, at 14:00, Central European Time

Speaker: Jorge Lauret
FaMAF - Universidad Nacional de Cordoba CIEM - CONICET
Cordoba, Argentina

Title: Finding solitons in differential geometry

Abstract: The concept of soliton provides a useful way to discover
elements in a given class of geometric structures that are somehow
distinguished. Solitons sometimes play the role of "best" structures in
the case when the most natural ones are not available. We aim in this talk
to show that this is being very fruitful in the study of Riemannian,
Hermitian, almost-Kaehler and G2 structures on manifolds, with a
particular strength on Lie groups. We will start discussing and finding
solitons in some different contexts, including matrices, polynomials,
plane curves, Lie group representations (moment maps) and the variety of
Lie algebras.