QLS guest webinar - Friday, 3 April 14h00

qls at ictp.it qls at ictp.it
Tue Mar 31 11:05:13 CEST 2020

Dear All,

Next Friday, 3 April at 14h00 Daniel Sanchez-Taltavull (Bern University Hospital)
will give an online seminar titled "Modelling strategies to organize healthcare workforce during pandemics:
application to COVID-19"

Abstract:

Protection of healthcare workforce is of paramount relevance for the
care of infected and non-infected patients in the setting of a pandemic
such as coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Healthcare workers are at
increased risk to become infected because of contact to infected
patients, infected co-workers and their community outside the hospital.
The ideal organisational strategy to protect the healthcare workforce in
a situation in which social distancing cannot be maintained at the
workplace remains to be determined. In this study, we have
mathematically modelled strategies for the employment of hospital
workforce with the goal to simulate health and productivity of the
workers. Therefore, deterministic models were extended to account for
stochastic influences potentially occurring in rather small populations.
The models were also designed to determine if desynchronization of
medical teams by dichotomizing the workers may protect the workforce.
Our studies model workforce productivity depending on the infection
rate, the presence of reinfection and the efficiency of home office. As
an application example, we apply our theory to the case of coronavirus
disease 2019 (COVID-19). The results of the models reveal that a
desynchronization strategy in which two medical teams work alternating
for 7 days reduces the infection rate of the healthcare workforce. In
case of immunity to the infectious agent this affect is mainly relevant
at early stages of the pandemic. This effect is independent on infection
rates and increases the overall workforce productivity under certain
situations.

Link:
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.23.20041863v1.article-metrics

Here is the Zoom meeting ID to attend the online seminar:
*Meeting ID: 475-819-702*
Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/475-819-702

  Kind regards,