6 July 2020 - What's new on the EC's Research and Innovation website

Susanne Henningsen hennings at ictp.it
Mon Jul 20 13:35:47 CEST 2020

read on-line version
<https://ec.europa.eu/newsroom/rtd/newsletter-specific-archive-issue.cfm?newsletter_service_id=1325&lang=en>
| ISSN 2599-9222

  Research and Innovation

    What's new

European Commission Logo

Header Image

follow us :   | icon Twitter <https://twitter.com/EUScienceInnov> icon
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/EUScienceInnov/> icon Youtube
<https://www.youtube.com/EUScienceInnovation> icon RSS
<http://ec.europa.eu/research/index.cfm?pg=rss&lg=en>

News Alerts
The Commission’s European Innovation Council awards €5 million to
blockchain solutions for social innovations
The European Innovation Council (EIC) Prize on Blockchains for Social
Good has awarded €5 million to six winners selected in a call to
identify scalable, deployable and high-impact blockchain solutions for
societal challenges. The call attracted 176 applications, with 80% of
applications coming from start-ups and SMEs.

Commissioner Gabriel said:

/I warmly congratulate all the winners. The proposed solutions show how
blockchain can harness decentralisation for positive social change by
supporting fair trade and circular economy, increasing transparency in
production processes and quality information, improving accountability
and contributing to financial inclusion. I hope that this award can help
upscale these outstanding ideas and inspire many others innovators./

	Main URL <https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/news-redirect/681313>

SeeAlso

	See also
	EIC Horizon prizes
<https://ec.europa.eu/research/eic/index.cfm?pg=prizes&pk_campaign=rtd_news>

Success stories
European biomolecular research centre supporting the development of
COVID-19 treatments

When COVID-19 was declared a global pandemic by the WHO, an EU funded
research project immediately stepped up to the plate. BioExcel, one of
Europe's leading centres for computational biomolecular research, gave
priority access to its supercomputing facilities and cutting-edge
software. This will help researchers and innovators across Europe in the
fight against coronavirus.

Photo

	Main URL
<http://ec.europa.eu/research/infocentre/article_en.cfm?id=/research/headlines/news/article_20_06_29_en.html?infocentre&item=Infocentre&artid=52730&pk_campaign=whatsnew_newsletter>

SeeAlso

	See also
	More Success stories
<https://ec.europa.eu/research/infocentre/index_en.cfm?pk_campaign=whatsnew_newsletter>

Events
Moving the Frontier of the Macroeconomic Modelling of Research & Innovation
The First European Conference on Macroeconomic Modelling of Research &
Innovation will take a detailed look at macroeconomic models for policy
making. It aims to contribute to the further development of the
treatment and assessment of R&I investments and the role that public
policies have in scientific, technological and economic development.

	Main URL
<https://ec.europa.eu/info/events/moving-frontier-macroeconomic-modelling-research-innovation-2020-sep-07_en&pk_campaign=rtd_news>

Date

	Date
	07/09/2020 - 08/09/2020

Venue

	Venue
	Online

SeeAlso

	See also
	More events
<https://ec.europa.eu/research/index.cfm?pg=events&upcoming=yes&pk_campaign=whatsnew_newsletter>

Horizon magazine
How life on Earth could help us find life on Mars

In our continuing search for other life in the universe, one place has
always looked promising – Mars. It is a rocky planet like Earth,
orbiting the same star, and at a distance where water could have been
present on the planet.

Photo

	Main URL
<https://horizon-magazine.eu/article/how-life-earth-could-help-us-find-life-mars.html>

SeeAlso

	See also
	Horizon magazine <https://horizon-magazine.eu/>

The European Commission is committed to personal data protection. Any
personal data is processed in line with the Regulation (EU) 2018/1725
<https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32018R1725&from=EN>.
Please read the privacy statement
<http://ec.europa.eu/research/pdf/ssps_communication_19022019.pdf>.