Please note CHANGE OF TIME - QLS Guest Seminar - Tuesday, 14 January 14h30

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Thu Jan 9 16:22:05 CET 2020

QLS Guest Seminar - Tuesday, 1a January 14h30

ICTP, Central Area, 2nd floor, SISSA Building, via Beirut 2

Speaker:  Fakhteh Ghanbarnejad - Sharif University of Technology (SUT),
Tehran, Iran

Title: Interplay between competitive and cooperative interactions in a
three-player pathogen system

Abstract:
In ecological systems, heterogeneous interactions between pathogens take
place simultaneously. This occurs, for instance, when two pathogens
cooperate, while at the same time multiple strains of these pathogens
co-circulate and compete. Notable examples include the cooperation of
HIV with antibiotic-resistant and susceptible strains of tuberculosis,
or some respiratory infections with Streptococcus pneumoniae strains.
Models focusing on competition or cooperation separately fail to
describe how these concurrent interactions shape
the epidemiology of such diseases. We studied this problem considering
two cooperating pathogens, where one pathogen is further structured in
two strains. The spreading follows a susceptible-infected-susceptible
process and the strains differ in transmissibility and extent of
cooperation with the other pathogen. We combined a mean-field
stability analysis with stochastic simulations on networks considering
both well-mixed and structured populations. We observed the emergence of
a complex phase diagram, where the conditions for the less
transmissible, but more cooperative strain to dominate are non-trivial,
e.g. non-monotonic boundaries and bistability. Coupled with community
structure, the presence of the cooperative pathogen enables the
co-existence between strains by breaking the spatial symmetry and
dynamically creating different ecological niches.
These results shed light on ecological mechanisms that may impact the
epidemiology of diseases of public health concern.

Web page: http://indico.ictp.it/event/9273/

Everyone interested is most welcome to attend!

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary
e-mail: qls at ictp.it