Algebraic geometry seminars - December 3rd - 4.30pm

Alessandro Nobile anobile at sissa.it
Tue Dec 1 16:20:19 CET 2020

Dear all,

We are glad to announce the beginning of this year algebraic geometry
series of seminars, which will be centered on Calabi-Yau manifolds.
The study of CY manifolds (in particular 3-folds) is one of the areas in
which geometry and theoretical physics converge.
On one hand, in geometry, CY manifolds appear in several contexts, for
example:
* (Affine smooth) C^n
* (Projective smooth) elliptic curves, K3 surfaces, Abelian varieties,
* (Affine singular) C^n/G for G < Sl(n,C) finite,
On the other hand, on the physics side, we recall:
* Mirror symmetry
* topological string theory
* String compactification.
In order to clarify some basic aspects of the topic, we will follow  the
second chapter of the book (Calabi-Yau Manifolds and Related  Geometries
by M. Gross & D. Huybrechts & D. Joyce), written by Mark  Gross.
Our goal is to understand the classic example of the mirror quintic.
The first seminar will be about deformation of complex structure of CY
manifolds.
I will start by giving the definition of CY manifold and universal
deformation. After explaining some properties of these objects I will
state and show the main steps of the proof of Bogomolov-Tian-Todorov
(BTT) unobstructedness theorem.
Thanks to BTT theorem, we have smoothness of the base space of the
universal deformation of CY without global (nontrivial) vector fields.

Everyone interested is welcomed to attend.

These are the details of the zoom meeting.

Topic: CY 3-folds meeting.  Bogomolov-Tian-Todorov unobstructedness
theorem

Speaker: Michele Graffeo

Time: Dec 3, 2020 04:30 PM Rome

Join Zoom Meeting
https://sissa-it.zoom.us/j/89327658167?pwd=MllGdkVxTTZMS29BT0UrbitqblJMdz09

Meeting ID: 893 2765 8167
Passcode: 372718

Best regards,
Andrea Ricolfi, Alessandro Nobile and Michele Graffeo