Reminder Virtual SP Seminar on Tuesday 21 April at 11am

De Comelli Marina de_comel at ictp.it
Sun Apr 19 21:15:45 CEST 2020

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, April 21, 11:00 am

Room: https://zoom.us/j/799099444

The link is to enter to the virtual room and will be available few
minutes before the starting time but you should install Zoom before.

*Title: Resurgence and Non-Perturbative Physics: Applications in
Condensed Matte*r
Marcos Mariño (Geneve University, Switzerland)
/
/
Abstract: It is often said that perturbation theory is insufficient to
understand many physical problems, and that non-perturbative effects are
needed. It turns out that making this statement precise requires the
mathematical framework of resurgence theory, in which perturbative
series are extended to so-called trans-series, and non-perturbative
effects can be detected by looking at perturbation theory at large
orders. In this talk I will first review the basics of the theory of
resurgence, and then present some of its recent applications to
condensed matter systems. In particular, I will argue that the
superconducting gap can be understood in terms of the Borel
singularities of the perturbative series in the normal state, and is
similar to the renormalon singularity of quantum chromodynamics.

See you there!

--
Dr. Raúl Arias
SISSA - Scuola Internazionale Superiore di Studi Avanzati