IFPU Colloquium next week

Rosanna Sain rosanna at ictp.it
Thu Sep 19 15:54:07 CEST 2019

Dear All,

Next week William Forman and Christine Jones Forman from the
Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics will be visiting the IFPU
and will be giving a double colloquium on Tuesday afternoon (details below).

They are world-renowned experts in X-ray cluster observations and they
are eager to visit Trieste as they expect to meet many collaborators and
friends. Researchers working on clusters and related fields are
encouraged to spend some time between Monday and Wednesday at IFPU. We
will circulate a similar email to the other institutes in Trieste.

Colloquia details:

*Location: Euler lecture room @ ICTP (!)*

*Time: 2:30pm*

*Christine Jones (Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics)*

/Chandra, HST, and Radio Observations of Clusters of Galaxies
/
Clusters of galaxies are the most massive gravitationally bound objects
in the Universe. While most of their mass is Dark Matter, the primary
component of their visible matter is hot X-ray gas. A significant
fraction of clusters are still growing through the infall of groups of
galaxies or through the mergers of clusters. These cluster mergers are
the most energetic events in the present Universe, after the Big Bang,
releasing energies up to 10^64 ergs. Cluster mergers leave distinct
signatures on the intracluster medium in the form of shocked gas and
diffuse radio sources, relics. Most of the gravitational energy released
during the merger is converted into shocks and gas turbulence in the
cluster gas. This talk will highlight Chandra X-ray and radio results on
the HST Frontier Fields clusters MACSJ017.5+3745, MACSJ1149.6+2223, and
A2744, which are undergoing major mergers. Recent results on the merger
of the A3411 and A3412 clusters show strong evidence for the electron
re-acceleration at the merger site. Finally this talk will highlight
results from the HST RELICS (Reionization Lensing Cluster Survey) which
has led to the detection of very high redshift (z~10) galaxies which are
strongly lensed by foreground clusters.

*Time: 4:00pm*
*
*
*William Forman (Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics)
*
/Supermassive Black Holes (SMBH) at Work: The Effects of SMBH Outbursts
on the Evolution of Gas Rich Galaxies, Groups, and Galaxy Clusters
/
Supermassive black holes (SMBHs) play key roles in galaxy and cluster
evolution. This is most clearly seen in the "fossil record" that is
imprinted in the gas rich atmospheres of early type galaxies, groups,
and clusters by powerful SMBH outbursts. I will discuss the outburst
history of M87 as chronicled in its radio and X-ray images and the
implications of these outbursts for heating gas rich environments. Based
on a simple shock model of M87's 12 Myr old outburst, I will present the
properties of the outburst including its age, total energy, and
duration. In addition to discussing the outburst around M87, I will
review the results of a galaxy survey that shows the effects of SMBH
feedback on early type galaxies and has interesting implications for the
growth of SMBHs over cosmic time.  I conclude by describing a future
X-ray mission, Lynx, whose sub-arcsecond angular resolution would allow
us to study the evolution of SMBHs and hot, X-ray emitting atmospheres
from high redshifts to the present.