Two QLS guest seminars - Monday, 9 September

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Tue Sep 3 14:12:47 CEST 2019

Two QLS Guest Seminars - Monday, 9 September 11h00am and 12h00

ICTP, Central Area, 2nd floor, SISSA Building, via Beirut 2

At 11h00

Speaker: Michael Shats - Research School of Physics, The Australian
National University, Canberra, Australia

Title: Controlling active spinners using vortex lattices

Abstract:
Actively spinning particles attracted much attention in recent years,
mostly from a point of view of their ability to self-assemble on the
liquid surface. On the other hand, the control of surface flows using
surface waves has led to interesting analogies with optical traps for
microparticles and ultracold atoms. In this talk I will present recent
experiments on the confinement of active spinners within a wave-driven
vortex lattice, also referred to as liquid metamaterial. I will discuss
properties of the surface flow generated by two orthogonal standing
waves. The spinners can be efficiently manipulated in such a flow to
either occupy stationary orbits within a metamaterial cell, or they can
be moved between the cells. I will discuss forces acting on the spinners
in such flows and will show how multiple spinners interact to form
stable self-organised configurations.

Indico: http://indico.ictp.it/event/9054/

At 12h00

Speaker: Hua Xia - Research School of Physics, The Australian National
University, Canberra, Australia

Title: Control of bacteria attachment and biofilm growth using surface waves

Abstract:
Surface adherent microbial consortia, biofilm growth, is a predominant
growth mode for bacteria and other microorganisms in nature. While there
is considerable literature related to the negative aspects of the
biofilms including chronic infections and industrial biofouling, they
can also be harnessed as biotechnological tools such as in waste water
treatment and remediation of environmental pollutions.

We are interested in identifying fluid conditions favouring or
discouraging bacteria attachment and formation of biofilms and
evaluating the role of the surface waves and vibration in the biofilm
formation.

Our results show that the formation of the biofilms is strongly affected
by the surface wave. Deterministic flows in a thin layer of nutrient
medium promote the growth of patterned biofilms while chaotic and
turbulent fluid motion reduces it. The settlement of bacteria and the
locations of biofilms differ from the sedimentation patterns of inactive
bacteria and of the passive microparticles, suggesting that the
environmental factors dominate over hydrodynamic advantages. Wave-driven
flows control the delivery routes of nutrients, oxygen and of the
bacteria communication agents thus allowing to shape the biofilm
development and to control macroscopic biofilm patterns. The results
offer efficient tools to encourage or discourage the attachment of
bacteria and allow shaping the biofilms using low-frequency waves.

Indico: http://indico.ictp.it/event/9055/

Everyone interested is most welcome to attend!

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary
e-mail: qls at ictp.it