Colloquium announcement - Alessandro Zavatta - 25/10/2019 - h. 2:30 pm

Rosita Glavina - Dip. Fisica UniTS Rosita.Glavina at ts.infn.it
Mon Oct 21 12:16:17 CEST 2019

We are pleased to announce the DF UniTs Colloquim:

Friday, 25/10/2019 at 14:30

Lecture Room A, Physics Department, Via Valerio 2

Alessandro Zavatta
Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche – Istituto Nazionale di Ottica (CNR –
INO)
LENS and Università di Firenze, Sesto F.no, Firenze, Italy

In-field demonstrations of QKD in metropolitan fiber links

Nonclassical states of light are crucial for establishing new quantum
communications
protocols for the development of a quantum network. In this direction,
we mainly succeed
in the generation and manipulations of quantum states of light such
as multiphoton entangled
states [1], squeezed light at telecom wavelengths, and
narrowband-entangled states from
four wave mixing in atomic ensembles. Recently, we realized a field
trial tests of a basic quantum
communication protocol over a metropolitan network [2]. Here we present
a simple, practical
and efficient quantum key distribution (QKD) scheme, performed over a 21
dB-losses fiber link
installed in the metropolitan area of Firenze (Italy). Coexistence of
quantum and weak classical
communication is also demonstrated by transmitting an optical
synchronization signal through
the same fiber link.
[1] N. Biagi, L. S. Costanzo, M. Bellini, and A.
Zavatta, arXiv:1811.10466 (2018).
[2] D. Bacco, et al., “Field trial of a finite-key quantum key
distribution system in the Florence metropolitan area”, arXiv:1903.12501
(2019)

The calendar of events taking place at the Physics Department is
available at https://df.units.it/en/events/all_evnt/