QLS guest seminar - Wednesday, 9 October

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Mon Oct 7 08:33:13 CEST 2019

	QLS Guest Seminar - Wednesday, 9 October 11h00am

ICTP, Central Area, 2nd floor, SISSA Building, via Beirut 2

Speaker: Etienne Fodor - DAMTP, Centre for Mathematical Sciences,
University of Cambridge, UK

Title: Active matter far from equilibrium: Work, dissipation and phase
transitions

Abstract:
Active matter is a paradigm of soft materials made of a large number of
interacting agents, ranging from colonies of bacteria to assemblies of
biomimetic micro-swimmers, where individual self-propulsion leads to
dynamics and structures without any equilibrium equivalent. The
dissipation at the basis of activity offers the opportunity to design
smart materials, for instance to extract work with unprecedented
protocols, for which generic guiding principles are still lacking.
Moreover, controlling dissipation allows one to select which order
emerges at large scale by promoting dynamical phase transitions, whose
properties are yet to be studied.

First, I will present design strategies for active engines which exploit
specifically nonequilibrium effects, such as the autonomous motion of
asymmetric obstacles and the lack of an equation of state in active
fluids. I will discuss how to optimize their efficiency in terms of the
protocol details and, when possible, compare their performances with
thermal engines. Second, I will examine the emergence of spontaneous
order when changing dissipation. Using large deviation techniques, I
will describe unexpected phase transitions, for instance towards a
collective motion despite the lack of aligning interactions, and
rationalize the microscopic mechanisms triggering such collective effects.

Indico: http://indico.ictp.it/event/9138/

Everyone interested is most welcome to attend!

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary
e-mail:qls at ictp.it