ICTP Mathematics Seminar - Tuesday 19 November at 16:00 (Ang Jian Peng)

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Fri Nov 15 16:42:25 CET 2019

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S  2019

VENUE:  Luigi Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first
floor)

Tuesday 19 November, at 16:00 hrs.

Speaker: Ang Jian Peng (ICTP)

Title: Sigma models, supersymmetry and generalized geometry

Abstract: A sigma model is a theory of maps between manifolds. The model
has supersymmetry if the target manifold carries certain geometrical
structures. Focusing on the particular case of (2,2) supersymmetry, the
target manifold has a generalized Kaehler structure. In this talk, I
will introduce and define each of the terms above. Generalized geometry
is a reformulation of differential geometry taking place on the direct
sum of the tangent and cotangent bundles rather than just the tangent
bundle. Complex structures in generalized geometry generalize both
complex and symplectic geometry. The analog of the Kaehler condition is
having two commuting generalized complex structures. I will show how the
sigma model formulation predicts the existence of a single local
function describing the entire generalized Kaehler structure, as in the
usual Kaehler case.