QLS SEMINAR - Tuesday 19 March 14h30, Adriatico guest house

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Tue Mar 19 08:55:09 CET 2019

QUANTITATIVE LIFE SCIENCES GUEST SEMINAR

Tuesday, 19 March 2019 at 14:30
ICTP, Adriatico Guest House, Kastler lecture hall

Speaker: Mukund Thattai, NCBS Bangalore, India

Title: Algorithmic synthesis of complex biomolecules

  Abstract:
An algorithm converts inputs to corresponding unique outputs through a
sequence of actions. Algorithms are used as metaphors for complex
biological processes such as organismal development. Here we make this
metaphor rigorous for the synthesis of the branched carbohydrates known
as glycans. These molecules play a key role in conveying cellular
identity and self/non-self information across all domains of life; for
example, the famous A/B blood group antigens are glycans. In eukaryotic
cells (including human cells) glycans are synthesized by collections of
enzymes in a factory-line system of compartments known as the Golgi
apparatus. The Golgi can stochastically convert a single input molecule
to a heterogeneous set of possible outputs; yet in living cells the
observed diversity of the outputs is very small. Here we resolve this
paradox by borrowing from the theory of algorithmic self-assembly. For a
large class of stochastic models, given an input and a target output we
either prove that the output cannot be algorithmically synthesized from
the input, or explicitly construct a succession of Golgi compartments
that achieves this synthesis. Our theoretical analysis allows us to
infer the causes of heterogeneity in real glycan datasets.

Everyone interested is most welcome to attend!

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary
e-mail:qls at ictp.it