SP Seminar @ICTP Tuesday 19 March at 11am - Andrea DE LUCA

CM Section cm at ictp.it
Fri Mar 15 11:33:33 CET 2019

Joint ICTP/SISSA Statistical Physics Seminar

Tuesday 19 March at 11:00 a.m.
Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, First floor, Leonardo building

Andrea DE LUCA
(Rudolf Peierls Centre for Theoretical Physics, Oxford, U.K.)

Solvable Minimal Models for Many-Body Quantum Chaos

Abstract:
I will present a class of models for quantum chaos in a spatially extended
many-body system. It consists of a chain of sites with nearest-neighbour
coupling under Floquet time evolution. Quantum states at each site span a
q-dimensional Hilbert space and the time evolution is specified as a random
circuit, whose local gates are random in space but periodic in time
(Floquet).
I will discuss a diagrammatic formalism useful to average over realisations
of the random circuit.
This approach leads to exact expressions in the large-q limit and sheds
light
on the universality of random matrices in many-body quantum spectra and
the ubiquitous entanglement growth in out-of-equilibrium dynamics.
I will also discuss universal behaviour which goes beyond random matrix
theory
and the manifestation of ergodicity breaking which can emerge at finite q.