ICTP Mathematics Lecture 2 - 12 March 2019 at 14:30 (Lothar Göttsche)

Math Section math at ictp.it
Tue Mar 5 14:45:08 CET 2019

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S  2019

Tuesday 12 March 2019 at 14:30 hrs.

Lothar Göttsche (ICTP)

Title: Virtual topological invariants of moduli spaces of sheaves on
surfaces II

Abstract:

     Using arguments from theoretical physics, Vafa and Witten gave a
generating function for the Euler numbers of moduli spaces of rank 2
coherent sheaves on algebraic surfaces.
     These moduli spaces are in general very singular, but they carry a
perfect obstruction theory (they are virtually smooth). This gives
virtual versions of many invariants of smooth projective varieties. Such
virtual invariants occur everywhere in modern enumerative geometry, like
Gromov-Witten invariants and Donaldson Thomas invariants, when
attempting to make sense of the predictions from physics. We conjecture
that the Vafa-Witten formula is true for the virtual Euler numbers. We
confirm this conjecture in many examples. Then we give refinements of
the conjecture.
      Our approach is based on Mochizuki's formula which reduces virtual
intersection numbers on moduli spaces of sheaves to intersection numbers
on Hilbert schemes of points.

VENUE:  IGAP (the old SISSA building) - As one can only enter the IGAP
if one has a badge, people wanting to come should meet in the bar a few
minutes earlier.

--
Monica Petronela Ancuta
for Ms Mabilo
math at ictp.it

Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics
Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste
Italy

Tel.: +39 040 2240 318