QUANTITATIVE LIFE SCIENCES GUEST SEMINAR - Thursday, 27 June 11h00

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Fri Jun 21 11:22:42 CEST 2019

QLS Guest Seminar - Thursday, 27 June at 11:00
ICTP, Central Area, 2nd floor, SISSA Building, via Beirut 2

Speaker: Mohammad Reza Ejtehadi, Department of Physics, Sharif
University of Technology, Tehran, Iran

Title: Mechanical response of cells to substrate topography

Abstract:
Cells sense and respond to topographical, chemical, and mechanical
characteristics of their substrate. Engineered substrates are
increasingly being developed that exploit these physical attributes to
direct cell responses and therefore control cell behavior toward desired
applications.

There are very few methods available for robust and accurate modeling
that can predict cell deformations and force propagations along the cell
media. Here, we developed a unifying computational framework to create a
multi-component cell model to predict cell behavior. The model which we
call it “virtual cell model” has the capability to predict changes in
whole cell and its nucleus characteristics [1]. The changes in shape and
elongation of the membranes, force distribution, and chromatin contact
map are predicted on a range of substrates.

Modeling data are correlated with cell culture experimental outcomes in
order to confirm the applicability of the model and demonstrating the
ability to reflect the qualitative behavior of mesenchymal stem cells [1,2].

Here we show controlled cell migration is possible just by proper design
of the substrate.