QUANTITATIVE LIFE SCIENCES GUEST SEMINAR - Wednesday, 19 June 15h30

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Tue Jun 18 14:21:47 CEST 2019

QUANTITATIVE LIFE SCIENCES GUEST SEMINAR

Wednesday, 19 June at 15:30
ICTP, Central Area, 2nd floor, SISSA Building, via Beirut 2

Speaker: Ramandeep S. Johal - Department of Physical Sciences, Indian
Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER)

Title: Efficiency of finite-time heat engines:  from linear-irreversible
to low-dissipation behavior

Abstract:

There is a great interest in understanding the optimal features of the
performance of finite-time thermal machines. Efficiency at
maximum power and the coefficient of performance at maximum cooling
power, are some of the useful criteria that are studied.
Universal features of these quantities are observed in many different
models, such as those based on endoreversibility
assumption, low-dissipation assumption, stochastic heat engines, and
even quasi-static models. We discuss a model of heat engine
within the framework of linear irreversible thermodynamics.
The model runs in a finite cycle time. We show that the model can be
mapped to a low-dissipation model whereby the entropy
generated in a heat-exchange step, is inversely proportional to the
duration of the process. The optimal features of
the efficiency will be discussed.

Everyone interested is most welcome to attend!

Indico web page: http://indico.ictp.it/event/8981/

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary