REMINDER: Mathematics Seminar at ICTP - Tuesday 18 June at 16:00 (Cristian GONZALEZ-RIQUELME)

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Mon Jun 17 13:59:57 CEST 2019

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S  2019

Tuesday 18 June, at 16:00 hrs.

Speaker: Cristian González-Riquelme (IMPA)

Title: The variation of maximal functions on Euclidean spaces and spheres

Abstract: Maximal operators are central objects of study in harmonic
analysis. The most classical example is the Hardy-Littlewood maximal
operator (in both its centered and uncentered form) but there are also
other interesting ones, for instance the ones associated to a
convolution with a smooth kernel. In this introductory talk we will
introduce the sub-area of harmonic analysis that studies how the
variation of a maximal function behaves with respect to the initial
data. We will discuss the classical results in this topic (most of them
dealing with the one dimensional case) and later we will talk about some
recent results that deal with the higher dimensional case when
restricted to radial data. Also we will show some analogues of these
problems when the domain of the functions are non-trivial manifolds, in
particular a recent result on the d-sphere.

http://indico.ictp.it/event/8975/

VENUE:  Luigi Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first
floor)

--
Koutou Mabilo
ICTP Mathematics Group

For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way
that respects and enhances the freedom of others. Nelson Mandela