Mathematics Seminar at ICTP - Wednesday 12 June at 14:00 (Micah MILINOVICH)

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Wed Jun 5 15:41:21 CEST 2019

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S  2019

Wednesday 12 June, at 14:00 hrs.

Micah Milinovich (University of Mississippi - USA)

Title: The distribution of the zeros of the Riemann zeta-function

Abstract: It has long been known that the distribution of the prime
numbers is intimately connected to the distribution of the zeros of the
Riemann zeta-function. Much information can be obtained from the
horizontal distribution of zeros, but finer information about primes
seems to be connected to the vertical distribution of zeros.  By
studying the pair correlation of the normalized spacing between the
zeros, Montgomery was lead to the conjecture that the statistics of
vertical spacings should follow the GUE distribution from random matrix
theory. I will survey some of the methods used to prove the existence of
large and small gaps between zeros of the zeta function, highlighting
the state-of-the-art and the limitations. I will also discuss some
recent joint work (with Hung Bui and Dan Goldston) were we prove the
existence of small gaps between distinct zeros of the zeta function, a
result that previous methods seem incapable of establishing.

http://indico.ictp.it/event/8973/

VENUE:  Luigi Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first
floor)

--
Koutou Mabilo
ICTP Mathematics Group

For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way
that respects and enhances the freedom of others. Nelson Mandela