Next week: 2 QLS Guest Seminars - Tuesday, 23 July

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Fri Jul 19 14:47:52 CEST 2019

2  QLS Guest Seminar - Tuesday, 23 July at 11h30 & 14h00

ICTP, Central Area, 2nd floor, SISSA Building, via Beirut 2

*At 11:30*

Speaker:  Davide Faranda - London Mathematical Laboratory

Title: Can we predict weather and project climate using machine learning
techniques?"

Abstract: Recurrent neural networks have been recently introduced to
predict the behavior of chaotic systems. Surprisingly, they provide
reliable forecasts up to the predictability limit without knowing the
underlying equations of the systems. Here we focus on the predictability
of rare trajectories leading to extreme events. We focus on different
chaotic systems, ranging from toy models of the atmospheric dynamics, up
to the re-forecast of sea-level pressure and temperature fields issued
by ERA Interim and NCEP reanalysis datasets. Our results show that: i)
the machine learning techniques can make reliable weather forecasts of
global atmospheric fields up to 48-72h with a time step of 3-6h ii) long
time forecasts do not diverge, they produce reliable climatology of the
sea-level pressure and temperature fields iii) we can evaluate the
coherence of extreme events generated via the machine learning with
respect to the observed ones.

Indico web page: http://indico.ictp.it/event/8990/

*At 14:00*

Speakers: Anna Battauz (Bocconi University, Milan) and Alessandro Sbuelz
(Catholic University, Milan)

Title: "American options with stocastic interest rates'"

Indico web page: http://indico.ictp.it/event/9013/

Everyone interested is most welcome to attend!

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary
e-mail:qls at ictp.it