ICTP Mathematics Seminar - Thursday 24 January, at 14:30 (Dominic BUNNETT)

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Fri Jan 18 17:36:59 CET 2019

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S  2019

Thursday 24 January, at 14:30 hrs.

Dominic Bunnett (FU Berlin)

Title: Moduli of hypersurfaces in weighted projective space

Abstract: The moduli space of smooth hypersurfaces in projective space
was constructed by Mumford in the 60’s using his newly developed
classical (a.k.a. reductive) Geometric Invariant Theory. I wish to
generalise this construction to hypersurfaces in weighted projective
space (or more generally orbifold toric varieties). The automorphism
group of a toric variety is in general non-reductive and I will use new
results in non-reductive GIT, developed by F. Kirwan et al., to
construct a moduli space of quasismooth hypersurfaces. I will give geometric
characterisations of notions of stability arising from non-reductive GIT.

VENUE:  Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first floor)

--
Koutou Mabilo
ICTP Mathematics Group

For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way
that respects and enhances the freedom of others. Nelson Mandela