ICTP Mathematics Seminar - Thursday, 5 December, at 16:00 (Oliver Dragicevic)

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Tue Dec 3 12:28:30 CET 2019

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S  2019

Thursday 5 December, at 16:00 hrs.

Speaker: Oliver Dragicevic (University of Ljubljana)

Title: Generalized convexity of power functions

Abstract: We study elliptic partial differential operators in divergence
form on open sets in R^n and associated with complex uniformly strictly
accretive matrices. We present several results for such operators, the
central being the so-called bilinear embedding theorem. The proof of
this theorem is a combination of heat flows and Bellman functions, and
leads to a new concept of convexity of power functions |z|^p for complex
z and associated with accretive matrices. This concept turns out to be a
generalization of the classical ellipticity condition and seems to be
well suited for the study of elliptic PDE on L^p spaces.

The talk is based on collaboration with Andrea Carbonaro (U. Genova)

VENUE:  Luigi Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first
floor)

--

Koutou Mabilo
ICTP Mathematics Group

For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way
that respects and enhances the freedom of others. Nelson Mandela