REMINDER - ICTP Mathematics Seminar - Tuesday 11 September, at 16.00 hrs. (Ibrahim Nonkane)

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Mon Sep 10 08:52:39 CEST 2018

MATHEMATICS SEMINARS 2018

Tuesday 11 September, at 16.00 hrs.

Ibrahim Nonkane (Universite' Ouaga II, IUFIC - Burkina Faso)

Title: Discriminants of complete Intersection Varieties

Abstract:

We develop a new approach of the discriminant of a complete intersection
curve in the 3-dimensional projective space. By relying on the resultant
theory, we prove a new formula that allows us to define this
discriminant without ambiguity and over any commutative ring, in
particular in any characteristic. This formula also provides a new
method for evaluating and computing this discriminant more efficiently,
without the need to introduce new variables as with the well-known
Cayley trick. Then, we derive new properties and we show that this new
definition of the discriminant satisfies the expected geometric property
and yields an effective smoothness criterion for complete intersection
space curves.

VENUE:Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first floor)

--
Monica Petronela Ancuta
for Ms Mabilo
math at ictp.it

Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics
Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste
Italy

Tel.: +39 040 2240 318