SP Seminar @SISSA Via Bonomea Room 004 Tuesday 6 November at 11am - Fabio FRANCHINI

CM Section cm at ictp.it
Tue Oct 30 16:52:56 CET 2018

Joint ICTP/SISSA Statistical Physics Seminar

Tuesday 6 November 11:00 a.m.
SISSA, Via Bonomea 265, Room 004

Fabio FRANCHINI (Ruder Boskovic Institute, Zagreb, Croatia)

Title:The Frustration in Being Odd: Area Law Violation in Local Systems

We demonstrate the existence of a new quantum phase of matter that
arises in antiferromagnetic spin chains with a weak frustration -just
one bond in a large chain-. This is the case, for instance, of systems
with an odd number of spins with periodic boundary conditions. Such new
phase is extended, gapless, but not relativistic: the low-energy
excitations have a quadratic (Galilean) spectrum. Locally, the
correlation functions on the ground state do not show significant
deviations compared to the non-frustrated case, but correlators
involving a number of sites (or distances) scaling like the system size
display new behaviors. In particular, the von Neumann entanglement
entropy is found to follow new rules, for which neither area law
applies, nor one has a divergence of the entropy with the system size.
Such very long-range correlations are novel and of potential
technological interest. We display such new phase in a few prototypical
chains using numerical simulations and we study analytically the
paradigmatic example of the Ising chain. Through these examples we argue
that this phase emerges generally in (weakly) frustrated systems with
discrete symmetries.

Reference: Salvatore Marco Giampaolo, Flávia Braga Ramos, Fabio
Franchini: arXiv:1807.07055