CMSP Seminar Series @ICTP Stasi Room Thursday 29 November - A. VILA VERDE

Condensed Matter Section cm at ictp.it
Mon Nov 26 11:19:21 CET 2018

ICTP Seminar Series in Condensed Matter and Statistical Physics

*KINDLY NOTE TIME ---- at 11:30 *

Thursday 29 November at 11:30 a.m.

Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, first floor, ICTP Leonardo building

Speaker: Ana VILA VERDE
MPI Colloids & Interfaces, Potsdam, Germany

"A Tale of Two Systems: How Fluorination Affects Amino Acid
Solvation, and How Oligomerization Influences the Mechanical
Response of Protein Coil Coils"

Abstract:
The interplay between solutes and water is central to understand
the liquid world around us: water modulates the magnitude and
the kinetics of the interactions between solutes, and how solutes
respond to mechanical force; solutes affect the structure and dynamics
of water.  My group has explored this interplay  from the perspective
of the solute and that of the  water  in a variety of systems, using
simulations.
In this talk I will discuss recent  results for two distinct systems: the
interactions of fluorinated amino acids and water, and the mechanical
response of protein helices and coiled coils to applied force.