ICTP Mathematics Seminar - Monday 26 November, at 11:00 - (Davide LOMBARDO)

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Fri Nov 16 12:42:55 CET 2018

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S  2018

Monday 26 November, at 11:00 hrs.

Davide Lombardo (University of Pisa)

Title: Endomorphism rings of Jacobians

Abstract:

Over the last two centuries mathematicians have developed a very rich
theory of abelian varieties; however, certain kinds of explicit
calculations have remained out of reach of our computational power until
quite recently, when theoretical and technological advances have led to
a renewed interest in the computational side of the theory. In this talk
I will discuss one of the fundamental algorithmic problems one would
like to solve, namely that of determining the endomorphism ring of the
Jacobian of an explicitly given curve over a number field. I will
describe a method to compute the endomorphism ring of such a Jacobian,
starting with the case of genus-2 curves, and show the connection
between this problem and a certain local-global principle for the center
of the endomorphism algebra. If time permits, I will also outline how to
prove the necessary local-global principle for abelian surfaces and,
under the assumption of the Mumford-Tate conjecture, for all abelian
varieties.

VENUE: Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first floor)

--
Koutou Mabilo
ICTP Mathematics Group

For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way
that respects and enhances the freedom of others. Nelson Mandela