CMSP Seminar Series - Upcoming Lectures Hannah PRICE Wed. 14 and Thursday 15 November

CM Section cm at ictp.it
Thu Nov 8 09:58:00 CET 2018

ICTP Seminar Series in Condensed Matter & Statistical Physics

*INTRODUCTORY SEMINAR *

*Wednesday 14 November at 11:00 a.m.*
Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, first floor, ICTP Leonardo building

*Speaker: Hannah PRICE*
School of Physics & Astronomy, Univ. Birmingham, U.K.

*"Artifical Gauge Fields in Ultracold Atoms"

*CMSP SEMINAR SERIES*

*Thursday **15 November **at 11:**0**0 a.m.*
Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, first floor, ICTP Leonardo building

*Speaker: **Hannah PRICE*
School of Physics and Astronomy, Univ. Birmingham, U.K.

*"Simulating Higher Spatial Dimensions with Atoms and****Photons"*

Abstract:
Spatial dimensionality deeply affects the physical phenomena which
can emerge in a system. Our physical world has three spatial dimensions,
and so condensed matter physicists have long asked what happens
when quantum particles are effectively confined to move in 1D, 2D or
3D geometries. However, recent advances in ultracold atomic and
photonics systems are now providing ways to go beyond these
limitations, in order to simulate the physics associated with four or
more effective spatial dimensions. As I will present, the development
of techniques such as 'synthetic dimensions' and 'topological pumping'
with photons or atoms can allow us to explore higher-dimensional
phenomena, such as the 4D topological quantum Hall effect, for the
first time.